Thursday, July 12, 2007

Music Industry

This is the first of many rants to come about the entertainment industry. Let's start with music.

Lets' face it- the music industry sucks. It's all about the all mighty dollar and not about the actual music. If it were about music, we'd have a lot better stuff to listen to on mainstream radio. Most acts today are "cookie cutter" acts that have absolutely no talent to speak of. Those that do have talent, get no help or promotion from their record label and often fall by the wayside which is a total shame. There are so many great singers out there, but unless you're listening to independent radio, or the internet stations, you'll never hear them.

Let's take the "big controversy" this year. Kelly Clarkson telling Clive Davis that she was gonna put out her album the way she wanted, not the way he wanted it to be. Well, I'm a Kelly fan, and I bought the CD- it's fantastic. I'm not saying this because I like her, it's a really good , dark disc. Now instead of being proud of the fact that she actually wrote all the songs herself, they wanted more of that "cookie cutter" pop for her disc. Well, now they've pulled out any money for promotion for her disc. Screw them- they're missing out on a golden opportunity to actually step out of the mold and show what music really is about.

Why do think all these 80's bands are reuniting and making money? Because people my age are so sick of the crap out there right now. I'd rather spend my money on a Genesis reunion than see some teeny bopper strut around the stage in nothing more than rags.

I would only hope that some day the music industry would wake up and change thinks around. Alas, I don't think that's ever going to happen. Sucks, doesn't it?

No comments: