Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Death and Dying

The say the only 2 sure things in life are Death and Taxes. We all know we have to pay taxes and dread it, but how much do we think about death?

I've lost a really good neighbor this week. He we the kindest man anyone could know. Unfortunately he was stricken with cancer and just couldn't put up the fight anymore.

Which got me to thinking- is it better to linger or just go all of a sudden? Morbid I know, but it made me ponder the choices.

I've experienced the loss of friends and family both ways. Death is never easy for those left behind, but for me, it's harder to come to grips with it when it just happens suddenly.

This happened with my grandfather and to this day, I still haven't gotten over the loss. It was so unexpected, and I feel that I never got to let him know what he truly meant to me. People say "time heals.." but in some cases it really doesn't.


My neighbor on the other hand, passed away slowly, in comparison. He was surrounded by his family. I know it's hard to watch, and you don't want the person to suffer, but that is the way it should be in your final hours, surrounded by the ones who love you. I know we don't get to make that choice, but in a "perfect" world that's the way it should be.

You were a good man Fred, you will be missed by many.

No comments: