Tuesday, June 13, 2006

What Happened to Broadway?

Ok myself being a huge theater buff, always look forward to the Tony Awards every year.
Yet every year I see this trend growning, there are less and less "Broadway Stars" and more and more Hollywood celebrities and muscians in lead rolls in plays. It looks more like the Academy Awards rather than the Tony's.
Really, Cyndi Lauper in "Three Penny Opera"? I like her, but a Broadway lead actress?
Oh and a trend you see way to much of on Broadway now- making a movie into a musical. "The Wedding Singer"- really? Is anyone going to see this thing? This year in revivals, in my opinion, were not my cup of tea. ""Sweeny Todd" and "Three Penny Opera", talk about wholesome family entertainment- not!
Thank God for the men from "Jersey Boys". I was so happy to see them win. They are Broadway actors. I loved every second of their speeches, very heartfelt and touching. You know when someone has struggled for the dream, you can see it in their eyes.
I know you're gonna say, hey that's another stupid trend, with the success of "Mama Mia", everyone's cashing in on turning a string of pop songs into a musical. I totally agree, but I feel with the exception of "Jersey Boys", which tells the story of The Four Seasons, that trend should be put to bed also.
Where are all the great playwrights? All the great musical ideas? Please someone come forward and save Broadway!

No comments: